Director of Community Planning and Investment
United Way’s Strategic Planning & Leadership
- Leads, in conjunction with the departmental team and CIO the planning activities for defined strategic impact goals related to the community investment process.
- Ensures implementation of strategic direction for UW initiatives to support well-designed strategies and outcomes that will guide investment decisions and impact evaluation regarding activities in the Community Planning & Investment Division
- Support the place-based strategy by assisting the Director of Place Based Strategies in strategic program management to ensure continuity of strategic goals and maximize impact.
Community Investment Process
- Leads United Way’s community investment process with a focus on investment for strategic impact, including strategic goal alignment through the development of community-wide funding processes.
- Develops and implements the Memorandum of Agreements for United Way’s community-wide investments, including utilization of the impact system to support the tracking and management of partner data and reporting
- Provides leadership around selected priority issues, including gaining in-depth understanding of the issues, building relationships with partners addressing the issues, and evaluating United Way’s work related to the issues.
- Works in collaboration with the CPI team and the Chief Impact Officer to 1) evaluate and measure community impact/building achievements through an analytical process that defines the desired outcome measures, incorporates community needs and assets information, 2) provide a continuous comprehensive system for measuring progress, and 3) determine United Way’s impact on priority issues.
- Leads the recruitment, training and ongoing learning process for Impact Council and Financial Stewardship members, and facilitates their evaluation of community-wide funding proposals.
- Provides technical assistance and guidance to partner agencies submitting proposals for the community-wide investment process.
- Provides structure and oversight for Financial Stewardship Review process and Impact Council members.
- Supports activities related to United Way’s place-based investment work as needed.
- Lead program management strategies to achieve defined outcomes and strategic objectives
- Lead development, implementation, and assessment of strategies to define collaborative, outcome-based milestones for funded programs and partners to support the achievement of impact goals.
- Lead development and implementation of a continuous improvement and learning strategy for assessing impact with funded partners.
- Continuously assesses and improves progress towards achievement of United Way strategic goals
- Assists the Chief Impact Officer with the coordination of the assessment of community needs and assets with other area funding groups and other partners who may be critical to this activity.
- Develops and maintains strategic partnerships with a wide-range of stakeholders and community partners who can advance United Way’s work in addressing the Board-defined priority outcomes.
- Works in collaboration with staff to complete and understand research on trends and strategies to strengthen the organization’s work related to the community investment process and other functions in the purview of the Community Planning & Investment Division.
- Identifies emerging opportunities and potential issue-focused and cross-issue collaborations and cross-issue.
- Provides, in conjunction with other team members, support and coordination of training activities for partner agencies, United Way and other nonprofit organizations.
- Works inclusively with individuals (target populations, residents, and other non-institutional partners), networks and organizations to explore shared interests and create and act on common goals, priorities, and visions.
- Coaches and mentors partner organizations and agencies.
- Provides assistance for the grant acquisition process and other sources of funding, as well as grants management.
- Provides cross-functional support and engagement (Resource Development, Data, UWFC Foundation, Communication) to develop and communicate compelling messages.
- Serve as staff liaison for the Data Sharing Project
- Represents United Way in various human service collaborations, committees, and initiatives. Completes other projects and activities in support the goals of the department and organization
- Completes other projects and activities to support the goals of the department and organization.
- Well-developed technical and analytical skills related to human services planning and evaluation.
- Demonstrated sense of urgency in achieving stronger outcomes for families/individuals
- Ability to present information and data in written, electronic and oral forms.
- Proven track record in teaming with staff, volunteers and a diverse group of stakeholders.
- Ability to plan and manage multiple tasks.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment and able to convey key information to staff in an organized and timely manner.
Primary Relationships: Staff, volunteers, personnel from agencies and other community organizations, funders, donors and general public.
Education: Bachelor's degree
Five+ years of United Way or equivalent experience in positions with progressively increasing responsibility.
- Working with diverse teams to strategically address complex problems and challenges
- Understanding and application of program evaluation/outcome measurement.
- Experience working with and supporting volunteers
- Proficiency with MS Office products, especially Word, Excel, and PowerPoint